welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Thursday, April 26, 2012

A LOOK AT COR!! STRIPS: STONEAGE BRIT


Stoneage Brit Ancient Nit was a short-lived series in the vein of the Flintstones telling adventures of a little pre-historic kid. Weekly antics involved mammoths, dinosaurs, etc. Stoneage Brit had an enemy named Ug who was an ape-like club-wielding brute.  The feature was quite similar to Glugg - a strip that appeared in WHAM! in the 60s. One of the things that Stoneage Brit had in common with Glugg was his turn for innovation and invention

From COR!! dated 15th August, 1970 (No. 11)

The artwork was rather crude – perhaps appropriately for a strip about pre-historic times.  Stoneage Brit Ancient Nit lasted until 7th November, 1970 (issue No. 23) and missed a couple of weeks towards the end of its modest run (it did not appear on 26th September, 1970 and 10th October, 1970 (issue Nos. 17 and 19)). It was hardly missed by many when it disappeared from the pages of COR!!

Thanks to Niblet who referred me to the appropriate post on another blog (see comments below), I can now add that the illustrator was Tony Goffe.

From COR!! dated 5th September, 1970 (No. 14)

And now I’ll take a deep breath before the next batch of three or four posts that I plan to devote to one of the most exciting COR!! strips - Kid Chameleon

4 comments:

  1. The artwork on this strip looks like it's by the artist who drew Loser in Whizzer and Chips. Don't know the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By coincidence, looking at the latest post on Peter's blog led me to Lew's blog, and the artist is Tony Goffe http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/seventies-nostalgia-more-adverts-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Niblet! One of the reasons I am writing this blog is the hope that readers will help me in identifying the artists whose style I can‘t recognise. That same post that you referred me to also confirms the name of the arist who did Super Mousse adverts in COR!! In 1971 – Peter Ford.

    ReplyDelete