welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, October 31, 2014

HALLOWEEN IN SCOTLAND



With Halloween spirit in the air, let’s see how PLAYHOUR's Gulliver Guinea-Pig celebrated it in the company of some Scottish mice back in 1958. The story seems to suggest that in those days the English weren’t familiar with Hallowe’en quite as well as the folks up North, or at least didn’t celebrate it with the same eagerness as the Scots(mice)...  



2 comments:

  1. Some lovely art in these children's comics/papers - strange how much the US influence has in Scotland going " trick or treating " was know as "guising" (still is to a certain extent) ie going out in a disguise etc I shouldn't be so precious really as the Scots (and Irish ) exported Halloween to the US - I think its fair to say the "gusiing" or "trick or treating" was more prominent in Scotland and Ireland (and Wales) than England although the English did this also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame he ripped up the map!
    Great to see these...hope you can show some more gems from Playhour another time...

    ReplyDelete