welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Tuesday, December 23, 2014

TWO PRE-XMAS ISSUES OF PLAYHOUR



To celebrate the Holiday Season, let’s take a look at two pre-Christmas issues of PLAYHOUR that happens to one of my favorite UK titles. In the end of September 1965 the magazine was given a facelift and got a new front cover design with a large drawing of Sooty and Sweep all over the page. To make it more fun, a couple of issues later it increased in size and became a tabloid-size magazine like the early BUSTER. I am not sure how long it continued like this but here are front and back covers of the pre-X-mas issue from 1965 with Sooty and Sweep singing Christmas carols; artwork by Gordon Hutchings, I believe:



Unusually for December issues of PLAYHOUR that used to celebrate X-mas big time throughout the month, this one only had one or two Christmassy stories inside. The next issue I am going to look at today is very different in that respect. In PLAYHOUR AND TV TOYLAND cover-dated 21st December, 1968, ALL but one strip were in the X-mas mood! Leo the Friendly Lion was the only one that was not and that’s because the scene was set in exotic jungle. This didn’t prevent it from turning Christmassy in the next week’s issue which will feature in the next blogpost. In the meantime, enjoy these pages from the 1968 pre-Xmas issue of this excellent title:








3 comments:

  1. My parents never bought these kind of comics for me when I was a small boy - not that I can remember anyway. Although, when I was about 12 (and far too old for them)), I bought the first few issues of Little Star for myself (it must just have been the allure of a new comic). They do look great 'though, very well drawn. Anyway, I don't really have any nursery comics that I can immediately recall, but at least I DO have that Corgi Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playhour was a very nicely drawn comic but IMHO the pages shown above aren't as good as the quality of art in the late 50s and the early to the mid-60s - my favourite period of the paper.

      Delete
  2. Nice seeing the Panda Soo in the story at the end..

    Loved seeing this...interesting nursery comics from the 50's and 60's...thanks Irmantas

    ReplyDelete