welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, December 20, 2019

WHOOPEE! 1979 CUT-OUT X-MAS LABELS



One of the things that made IPC comics different from those of their competitors was the posters, mini-booklets and other fun pull-outs. In 1979 Whoopee! celebrated X-mas by offering cut-out labels featuring its big stars in the three issues cover-dated 8th, 15th and 22nd of December. Here are the first three pages. I will save the remaining two for the next post.




Characters are © Rebellion Publishing Ltd

Readers must have loved the various extras because they are often missing in the comics offered on auction sites. When building my Whoopee! collection, I wanted all of my copies to be complete, and although the comic is not too difficult to find, it took me quite some time to get hold of everything with nothing missing (for some reason, a 1979 February issue with Supermum pull-out booklet was particularly hard to find). Whoopee! is my favourite IPC comic and I still plan to cover it in detail at some point, but until I get round to this ambitious quest, I might do a series of year-by-year accounts of the various Whoopee! pull-outs next year.

I am celebrating the 100th birthday of KEN REID by offering free prints of his original artwork with every purchase of THE POWER PACK books! Press here and claim your copies now!


2 comments:

  1. They are also well drawn....
    Whoopee is also my favourite IPC comic...probably becasue of the great comics it merged with...
    nice they are all drawn by the comic artists who draw the characters...Whizzer and chips also did the Christmas decorations which are good too..in the early 80's

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always puzzled me that, as you mention, IPC were so keen on cut-out features, whereas DC Thomson rarely used them. On many other things the 2 companies would mirror each other's output (for example launching similarly-themed comics in competition) yet on the subject of cut-outs their attitudes were entirely different.

    I'm looking forward to your planned series on the Whoopee! pull-outs.

    ReplyDelete