welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Sunday, December 15, 2013

THE CHRISTMASES OF FRANKIE STEIN - PART ONE



At about this time last year I did a series of Christmas episodes of Faceache – a strip by Ken Reid that started in JET and then enjoyed an impressively long run in the pages of BUSTER. You can revisit the whole series HERE.

This time I’ll do a similar X-mas themed retrospective of another long-running and brilliant strip that also happens to be one of my favourites in UK comics – Frankie Stein.

The character and the strip were created by Mr. Ken Reid and originated in WHAM! nearly half-a-century ago in 1964. I will kick-start this three-part series with all four festive episodes from the pages of WHAM! spanning the years 1964 – 1966 (there was no X-mas episode in 1967, and by the time the Christmas of 1968 arrived the paper had already folded). For me, British humour comics hardly ever got any better than this. Enjoy!

1964:



 1965:


Two-part story in 1966:



3 comments:

  1. Oh buggah, Irmantas - I was thinking of doing this. Never mind - great art by one of the medium's true masters. Merry Christmas when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) :)
      Merry Christmas to you too when it comes, Kid!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is black comedy served hot!!

    Merry Christmas Irmantas look forward to all your posts...
    thanks Peter

    ReplyDelete