welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Thursday, April 17, 2014

A LOOK AT MONSTER FUN STRIPS: BRAINY AND HIS MONSTER MAKER




Brainy and his Monster Maker was a tale about a boy named Brainy who invented the World’s first monster-making ray gun. In this strip ‘monster’ meant ‘big’ rather than ‘horrible’, so don’t expect to see freaky monsters here (save for the odd giant-sized bird, dog, crab, worm or insect) – only huge hats, fruits, flowers, tarts, umbrellas, slippers, etc. Also the odd giant nose or toe because the the magical monster maker could also be applied selectively (to enlarge a particular part only).


I find the stories a bit boring and repetitive, and the artwork isn’t great too, so it isn’t high in my personal list of favourite MFC features. Readers must have seen it differently because Brainy and his Monster Maker continued from the first issue of MFC to the very last (missing issues 16, 34, 39, 41, 47, 50, 51, 53, 56, 58, 61, 64, 66, 68, 70 and 71). The illustrator was Vic Neil (I think). The strip was a one-pager, except in the penultimate issue where two independent episodes were merged to look like one – a clear case of not wanting to waste the artwork supplied by the cartoonist before the decision not to transfer the strip to the combined BUSTER AND MONSTER FUN was made.


8 comments:

  1. It’s noteworthy that the lettering for the words ‘Monster Maker’ is designed to give the strip an eerie feel that it completely lacks. We must remember Martha and her makeup, so it’s likely someone didn’t want to repeat the concept by having Brainy also turn things into actual monsters. There was also ‘Fiends Beans’ in Cracker comic that followed similar lines to Martha at this time, so Brainy was up against that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I am not familiar with Fiends Beans but I believe DCT were much less into horror comedy than IPC, which I find a bit surprising - the theme seemed to be such a hit in the 70s.

      Delete
    2. I have an example of Gordon Bell's "Fiend's Beans" on my own blog here... http://comics.brucelaing.id.au/fiendsbeans/

      Delete
  2. You might also want to 'Plug' (ho, ho!) a few gaps in your DCT knowledge with this:
    http://www.topper-universe.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excelent site. Perhaps it would be a good idea for me to create something like this for the IPC titles which I have already covered here?

      Delete
  3. I don’t think it was Vic Neill, but I don’t know who it was :( The artist did several IPC strips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading Whizzer and Chips in the British Library today, I noticed that Brainy was reprinted in Chips for a very few issues around July 1984. This was the period that due to industrial action proved fatal for Tammy and Scream, and put 2000AD out of business for a month. I’m wondering if scarcity of material forced the use of reprints; the Beat Your Neighbour reprints made a brief comeback at this time, not so long after having been dropped. Rotten strikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that reprints were usually a sign of budgetary cuts.

      Delete