welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Monday, October 13, 2014

A LOOK AT MONSTER FUN FEATURES – BADTIME BEDTIME BOOKS – Part THREE



In my first blogpost on Badtime Bedtime Books I suggested that the BBBs can be classified into three periods –the Leo Baxendale period, the ‘grey’ period and the Mike Brown period. 

I’ve already dealt with the work of Leo Baxendale and made a few inroads into the second period because the periods don’t have clear-cut time lines and occasionally overlap, e.g. during the LB period Sherlock Bones in MFC No. 15 was drawn by Tom Paterson, while Ghoul Dilocks and the Three Scares in MFC No. 16 and Dick Twerpin in MFC No. 24 may have very well been the work of Bob Dewar. See the comments to my previous post.

The ‘grey’ period was the time when, trying to cope with Leo Baxendale’s departure from comics, Bob Paynter experimented with other artists. Mr. Baxendale’s last BBB (William the Conk) was in MFC No. 28 (20th December, 1975) so theoretically, the beginning of the ‘grey’ period coincided with the start of the New Year. In his book A VERY FUNNY BUSINESS Mr. Baxendale recalled how Bob Paynter complained to him that other artists were reluctant to take the job because of the amount of work the BBBs involved.

24) The first BBB of 1976 was Dick Twittington by Terry Bave. It appeared in the first issue of the year (MFC No. 30, 3rd January, 1976):



25) The Ghoul and the Pussycat in MFC No. 32 (17th January, 1976) was by Leslie Harding:



26) Gong of Kong in MFC No. 34 (31st January, 1976) looks like the work of Mike Brown but initials ‘RG’ in the last panel suggest differently. Any ideas as to who may have drawn this one? Perhaps the whole story was illustrated by Mike but someone else was asked to draw the last frame and sneaked in the initials? 



MFC issue No. 36 (14th February, 1976) had a BBB pull-out poster, presumably from the hand of Leo Baxendale. You can see the image in the first post of the series HERE.

27) Half-A-Dollar Boy in MFC No. 37 (21st February, 1976) was another quick job by Leslie Harding:



28) Doctor Poo in MFC No. 39 (6th March, 1976). This one has no signature and/or initials, and my two candidates for art credits are Mike Brown and Tom Paterson. I think it looks more like Mike’s work:




From this point all but two of the BBBs were by Mike Brown as confirmed by his signature/initials or the general look and feel of the artwork. Come back soon for the gallery of covers.



All Images 2014 © Egmont UK Ltd.  All rights reserved. Used with permission.

5 comments:

  1. The Ghoul and the Pussycat is drawn by Leslie Harding, who also drew Claws, Caws and Paws as Styx.

    Half a dollar boy (so that’s the real first appearance of Super Steve, the 12.5p Buytonic Boy) may also be by Leslie, but I’d have to see the other pages.

    Finally, I agree, Doctor Poo is by Mike, and so is Gong of Kong. From memory, I think Gong of Kong was reprinted in the Monster Fun Annual 1985.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy. I will go ahead and amend artwork credits for The Ghoul & the Pussycat and Half A Dollar Boy - both were definitely by the same artist.

      As for a reprint of Gong of Kong in 1985 MF Annual, it must have been some other year, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  2. I agree Leslie Harding...
    also nice seeing the early Buytonic boy...can you put up more pages please...
    I love relooking at your blog..really makes me want to collect all the Cor!!, Shiver and shakes and Monster fun plue Whoopee!!
    Off topic what do you think of Whizzer and chips...my favourite era is when Krazy comic joined..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding Whizzer and Chips – for some reason I haven’t developed a strong liking for this title, although I am sure many people have fond memories of it and consider it the best IPC comic ever. I am not sure why I feel that way - perhaps it’s the absence of strong features like Frankie Stein or Scream Inn, or possibly the low content of horror comedy strips - my favourite genre in UK comics. Or maybe I simply haven’t looked close enough at the title :))

      Delete
    2. I agree Whoopee!! is my favourite Buster is great with Faceache..
      Whizzer and chips got better when my favourite artists Reg Parlett..Tom Paterson..Robert Nixon joined when Krazy merged 1978..up to 1984 When Whoopee!! joined it wasn't the same for me..except for Tom Paterson's Sweeny Toddler and Jack Edward Olivers pages... Grim Gym by Ian Knox was good in the 1984 issues..
      The first year of whizzer and chips was good But lost something when Leo baxendale and Reg Palrett left..

      Delete