welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, November 21, 2014

ONE-OFF FEATURES IN MONSTER FUN COMIC

One-off features probably served the same purpose as reprints and were used to fill the space which was originally reserved for something else.

Brain Benders in issue No. 21 was a weak prelude to Ticklish Allsorts:




Film Funny in issues 23 and 32 were collages consisting of classic horror movie screenshots with added speech balloons. One or two can also be found in the early Shiver and Shake Holiday specials. Here’s an example from MFC No. 32:



All Images 2014 © Egmont UK Ltd.  All rights reserved. Used with permission.

1 comment:

  1. Film Funny has "legs", sort of. Around the same time, there was a whole series of trading cards (American, I think), which consisted of nothing but horror movie stills with "funny" captions. Wonder if that's where Monster Fun got the idea from?

    As for the puzzle page - not much to say, but it always makes me smile to see a pangolin!

    ReplyDelete