welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, January 15, 2016

MORE COVERS OF LANDMARK BUSTER NUMBERS



Further to my previous post where I showed the cover of BUSTER No. 1,000, let’s take a look at two other landmark numbers of the comic.

BUSTER No. 500 can be easily identified by simply counting the weeks in the calendar because the first industrial action to affect regular weekly publication schedule didn’t occur until 1970. Here is the cover of issue 500:


… and this is what BUSTER looked like a thousand issues later, behold the cover of No. 1,500:



All Images 2016 © Egmont UK Ltd.  All rights reserved. Used with permission.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Buster! Now there was a REAL comic. Hard to believe it's now been gone for 16 years. If I ever win the Lottery, it'll be making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing Buster's strip was the only feature from issue 500 that survived to number 1500.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked and you are absolutely right! I much prefer the lineup in No. 500 :) Moreover, Buster the character had also changed nearly beyond recognition by then.

      Delete
  3. im more fond of the late 70s & 80s buster im not big into the glut of adventure strips they had in the 60s, i know there was quite a few in the 70s though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slightly off topic, but I read The Beano no. 2000 for the first time since Nov 1980 in British Library recently. I remember how originally I found it boring, what with reminiscences of Jonah and Big Eggo, etc who I'd never heard of. Then again I was only seven! Didn’t look at it that way the other week; I must have acquired taste in comics since!

    ReplyDelete