welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, October 20, 2017

LETTER BY ODHAMS EMPLOYEE TO KEN REID



Ken Reid must have enjoyed himself when he worked for Odhams drawing Frankie Stein, Dare-A-Day Davy, Queen of the Seas, etc. because it looks like at least some of the staff were just as potty as he was and shared his sense of humour. This is demonstrated by the letter below that Ken received from someone at 69 Long Acre, London in the late 60s. 

I am not sure who the author was because I’ve only seen the first page, unsigned. Any ideas as to who may have written it? It says “My name is Swallow, not Splutt”… at the bottom of the page, and it appears that the person was then in charge of POW! comic.


8 comments:

  1. I'd really like to see the rest of that letter, Irmy. (I'm sure you would too.) In answer to your query, Alf Wallace oversaw all the Power Comics, but Bob Bartholomew was the day-to-day editor of Pow! Pow merged with Smash! in 1968, so the letter is obviously from before that occurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am familiar with the two names and their positions at Odhams Press but I am curious who may have identified himself as Swallow in this letter?
      What I would really like to see is Ken’s original note which the person responds to. I have a copy of a hilarious letter (3 pages long) that Ken sent to Odhams after the publisher folded. I will show it on this blog one day for the tiny crowd of Kazoop!! readers to enjoy :)

      Delete
    2. I'd imagine that 'Swallow' is just an 'assumed name of the moment' for the purpose of a joke, Irmy, in response to one that Ken had made. Therefore, chances are that it was probably Bob Bartholomew who wrote the letter, being editor and the man Ken would deal with.

      Delete
  2. As it happens, I had an answer to my question all along... I was checking my notes for something else the other day and found out that Ken had identified Bill Swallow as Editor of POW! in his diary.
    I am aware that Alf and Bart were the official “spokespersons” for the Power Comics in the letters section and signed their replies to readers' questions. I also know that the Power Pack index by Steve Holland says that the editor of the paper was Albert Cosser.
    Ken’s notes, however, clearly indicate that POW! editor was Bill Swallow, and mention at least one phone call from the man with instructions regarding Dare-A-Day Davy.
    I ran a search for the name in the context of Odhams comics but Google returned no relevant hits. I also checked the Dictionary of British Comics Artists, Writers and Editors by Alan Clark, and there’s no mention of Bill Swallow there either. Was he perhaps a sub-editor in charge of POW! humour strips? Or perhaps he was in fact the editor who chose (or was instructed) to remained anonymous because differently from the letters section, News from the Floor of 64 (the editorial column) went unsigned (I did check my copies of POW!)
    I should probably publish this as a new blog entry, so that more people would see it and maybe come up with some new info...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, missed this reply, Irmy, only just noticed it. Could Bill Swallow simply have been a sort of general 'dogsbody' (the 'office boy' in effect) who handled the mail and sent out the scripts to the artists, etc? Or simply an assistant editor who was never referred to by name because Alf, Bart and Cos were the main men? One day, I'll go through all the Floor of 64 pages and see if there's a mention of him.

      Delete
    2. He wasn’t an office boy because in his letter Bill Swallow mentions a roll from Ken Reid delivered by Tom, the office boy. He also had a Drivel Swivel Circulating Seat behind his POW! desk, which sounds rather posh and important, and he had his morning coffee served to him by Marie (probably a secretary). If you decide to go through the editorial columns, I think the search should be limited to POW! comics. I will see if I can find the time to go though all my copies.

      Delete
    3. I think the Floor of 64 pages were the same in all the Power Comics anyway, Irmy, they weren't different in each title. I wonder if he was an art editor of some kind then? Verily, some day the truth shall be known.

      Delete
    4. Are you saying that they printed the same editorials in all the Power Comics published in the same week?

      Delete