welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Sunday, September 9, 2012

1978 COR!! HOLIDAY SPECIAL



1978 COR!! Holiday Special is the only gap in my collection of COR!! 

Information provided on the cover tells us it was 64 pages thick and cost 30 p. The aim of this post is to reserve a slot for the edition in the chronological sequence until I get hold of a copy and can take a look inside. 

Writing a comprehensive review of a comic and having a gap in the collection always leaves a possibility that other posts will have to be amended and supplemented when the gap is filled. Perhaps the missing Holiday Special contains a new Kid Chameleon story or maybe even a new episode of Jasper the Grasper by its original illustrator Ken Reid? This doesn’t sound very likely, but needs to be checked to be sure… 

Incidentally, does anyone have a copy they’d be willing to sell?


UPDATE ONE: A review of the 1978 COR!! Holiday Special can be found on toonhound.com here. Thanks to rainswept, a reader of this blog, for the heads up! 

UPDATE  TWO (July 24th, 2013):


I finally got my chance to bid on a copy of the only COR!! Holiday Special that I didn’t have, and I took it. I paid a bit more than I was meaning to initially but fellow collects will know the feeling when you find an item you’ve been hunting for a while and don’t want to waste the opportunity…  

Here is an account of the contents: 

Ivor Lott and Tony Broke (on front cover + 3 reprints), Ghost Ship (3 episodes), Val’s Vanishing Cream (2 episodes), Tease Break, Jelly Baby (3 episodes including two in full colour), Whacky (2 reprints),  The Slimms (by Terry Bave), The Gasworks Gang (3 Frank McDiarmid reprints), Jasper the Grasper, Jackpot, Andy’s Ants (by Terry Bave),  Whacky (2 reprints), Hire A Horror (4 reprints, including two in full colour), Chalky,  Tricky Dicky, Football Madd, Holiday Race Game centrespread in full colour, Nightmare, Tomboy (2 episodes), Donovan’s Dad (by Terry Bave), Teacher’s Pet (2 pages), Gus Giggles (2 pages), Swopper Stan (2 reprints), Gus Gorilla (reprint, on back cover in colour).

There were no thrilling surprises in the Holiday Special. Considering the long time it took me to get hold of a copy and the excitement when the package arrived, the contents were quite a disappointment. As can be seen from the list above, it is full of reprints of old COR!! material (21.5 pages are definitely reprints). The features that aren’t marked as reprints in the list are probably new material but still nothing to write home about. Tomboy episodes are nicely drawn though. Here is one in full:


Three ½ page episodes of Ghost Ship is the only feature that I don’t remember seeing in a COR!! publication before. The half-pager is probably a reprint but I don’t know where from (I haven’t included it in the sum quoted in the previous paragraph). Here are two examples, both by different artists:



Terry Bave was responsible for three two-pagers (all new material, I think) but this is dwarfed by the contribution of Les Barton who illustrated as many as 12 pages: Tease Break feature – 4 pages, Jasper the Grasper – 2 pages, Football Madd – 2 pages, Holiday Race game centrespread in full colour and 2 pages of Nightmare).  Here are some panels. Note Les Barton’s signature in Jasper the Grasper and Nightmare:




And here is a photo of the centrespread by Les Barton:


1 comment:

  1. Can't help you with the first Ghost Ship, but I think the second one is by Peter Davidson.

    ReplyDelete