welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Wednesday, January 8, 2014

BUSTER COVERS GALLERY - PART 3



Here are the front covers of all five issues of BUSTER from August 1963. If I were asked to name my favourite month of the lot, it would probably have to be this one because I find all the covers particularly dramatic and attention-grabbing. You will see some equally good examples later on but IMHO in August 1963 the concentration of goodness was the greatest.


As I explained in my introduction to this series HERE, I started it hoping perhaps it will attract the attention of BUSTER collectors with spare copies of the title and they’ll help me fill my few remaining gaps. Please, contact me via e-mail if you have copies to sell or swap and don’t mind shipping abroad because I am not in the UK. I have 25 – 30 spare copies from the early 60s and might be able to help you fill some of your gaps, so e-mail me for a list and details about condition. See my blogger profile for the address.

MY WANTS FOR BUSTER:
October 29, 1960
December 24, 1960
December 31, 1960
January 21, 1961
February 4, 1961
February 11, 1961
July 15, 1961
September 23, 961
December 30, 1961
June 20, 1964
July 4, 1964
July 11, 1964

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing these covers. I don't have any Busters from 1963. That cover design is very effective isn't it? Perfectly shows that the comic contains a balance of humour and adventure strips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover design is indeed very effective and is an excellent indication of what is to be expected inside. At that time the proportion of non-humour stories in Buster was greater than humour strips.

      Delete
  2. I really love these early Buster covers, thanks for posting. Do you happen to know what issues of Buster, Whoopee, Whizzer and Chips had advertisements in for Smiths Horror Bags please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I don't but I could check for you, if you could narrow the period down for me. What are Smiths Horror Bags?

      Delete
    2. Smiths Horror Bags were a range of crisps [or rather more like Monster Munch] from Smiths crisps. There were 5 in the range Fangs, Bones, Claws, Ribs, and Bats. They began in 1974 and lasted until about 1979. They had over the years many items that you could send for by saving so many empty packets. I have several posts on Horror Bags on my blog.

      Hope this helps and I would be very grateful if you don't mind looking through your comics.

      All the best and thank you.

      Delete
    3. I'll look for them when I get a chance. I think I remember something in a Whoopee! from 1976.

      Delete
    4. Paul, I found something for you in Whoopee! Drop me a line at irmantas.po@gmail.com if you want some scans.

      Delete