welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Friday, January 17, 2014

BUSTER COVERS GALLERY - PART 6



Next up are five covers of BUSTER from November 1963. The first one features The Boy Who New Two Much – a Western about a Texan boy whose great-grandfather’s sheriff’s badge occasionally enabled him to see into the future, allowing him to prevent crimes and robberies.


Eric Bradbury who was in charge of Maxwell Hawke stories never failed to come up with a dramatic splash panel whenever he was asked to draw one for the cover of BUSTER:


Eric Bradbury was also responsible for the panel of Mike Kane – Gladiator on the cover of the next issue. According to BUSTER Index by Ray Moore and Steve Holland, it was one of the last episodes by Mr. Bradbury before Bill Lacey took over illustrator’s duties in December.


Carlos Cruz is credited as the artist of Return of the Shrinker.


I don’t know who drew Black Axe in this issue and BUSTER index is not much help either:


As I explained in my introduction to this series HERE, I started it hoping perhaps it will attract the attention of BUSTER collectors with spare copies of the title and they’ll help me fill my few remaining gaps. Please, contact me via e-mail if you have copies to sell or swap and don’t mind shipping abroad because I am not in the UK. I have 25 – 30 spare copies from the early 60s and might help fill some of your gaps, so e-mail me for a list and details about condition. See my blogger profile for the address.

MY WANTS FOR BUSTER:
October 29, 1960
December 24, 1960
December 31, 1960
January 21, 1961
February 4, 1961
February 11, 1961
July 15, 1961
September 23, 961
December 30, 1961
June 20, 1964
July 4, 1964
July 11, 1964

2 comments:

  1. Excellent covers. Regarding The Shrinker, Carlos Cruz may have been the artist of the interior strip but that cover illo is surely by Mike Western?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may very well be a possibility, Lew (I looked the artist credits up in Buster index). I'm glad you like the covers. Judging from the slump in the number of views that this series is getting, it isn't exactly a hit with other readers but I genuinely believe they are great covers that well-deserve a gallery of their own :)

      Delete