welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Monday, November 20, 2017

GERMAN CHEWING GUM WRAPPER INSERTS



Regular readers may know I had limited exposure to comics where I lived when I was a kid. Chewing gum wrapper inserts were among the very few sources (provided we managed to get hold of some chewing gum – it was scarce here then…). 

The other day I was looking through my old stuff and found a small collection that I put together back in the day. There are quite a few that came with Donald Duck chewing gum but I remember that my favourite ones were those offered by some German brands. One was Fix und Foxi Bubble Gum with Fix und Foxi inserts; Big Babaloo, with Otto und Alwin was the other one.

I did a quick online search and it turns out Fix und Foxi, created and illustrated by Rolf Kauka, used to be really big in West Germany and elsewhere in Europe. Otto und Alwin by Jürgen Günther were a different story. In fact, I was quite surprised to find out that Big Babaloo was made in West Germany because Otto and Alwin (the characters featured on the inserts) were from FRÖSI – children's magazine published in the communist East Germany. Check out some examples of both strips below. I remember trying to copy the drawings and found Otto und Alwin to be way more difficult than Fix und Foxi.












Driven by nostalgia, I recently bought some FRÖSI’s and will probably do a post about them here sometime soon. 

I was also impressed to learn that an enthusiast of East German comics published several collections of strips from FRÖSI, and I bought those of Otto und Alwin that I could get hold of – the print runs of 300 copies sold really quickly. I have a soft spot for reprint collections and will probably show the German books here at some point in the future.

I am curious if comic strips inserts were offered by chewing gum manufacturers in the UK?

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't say, because I'm so disgusted by the stuff, I never bought any. I did get the Topps Batman cards, but the foul 'confectionary ' was instantly discarded. In that instance I relented because it was Batman, but nothing else was ever a big enough draw for me (except The Champions cards a few years later) to make me ignore my repulsion of the 'dreaded substance'. Okay, I'm a weirdo, but you knew that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any thoughts on the German artwork? :)

      Delete
    2. I'd say it's perfectly fine. Not too keen on the typeset word balloons though.

      Delete
  2. Universal humour...liked the top ones..

    Sweet Tooth had his own sweets with comic page inside..
    Tom and Jerry had there lolly pop wrapper comic..
    Bananaman candy sticks (Banana flavour) had a card..liked these sweets still do candy sticks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fix und Foxi strips are quite appealing - not so keen on Big Babaloo, though.  As a kid in the 1960s I occasionally bought Bazooka Joe bubblegum which came with a comic strip. Here's the website of someone who has a large collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a nice website, thanks for the link! If I had to choose between Fix und Foxi and Otto und Alwin, I’d probably go for the latter. It has a strange personal appeal to me, I don’t really know why :)

      Delete
    2. So Alwin is a penguin (I think) - what is Otto supposed to be?

      Delete
    3. He's probably green from eating too much gum!

      Delete