welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Monday, December 17, 2012

BUSTER CHRISTMASES. PART TWO – THE SEVENTIES



The seventies were off to a rough start for Buster because it fell victim to printers’ industrial action and no issues were published for eleven weeks in the end of 1970 and the beginning of 1971, hence no 1970 Christmas edition. 

Here are three more covers by Nadal with the snowy logo:




By Christmas 1974 Nadal was replaced by Reg Parlett who remained in charge of the character for more than a decade. 





 

8 comments:

  1. More great covers! :)

    Intrestingly I have the 1972 Buster Chritsmas comic, but it doesn't have a price on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Reg's Buster best...
    Buster always loved his food...a bit like me;0)

    That last cover is so striking..
    nice to see covers I've never seen before...

    Amazing you've nearly completed Buster comic collection..
    you must have a lot of storage space..
    I use drawers everywhere...and a shelves and shelves in a box room for mine also lots end up behind my chair...I'm always reading them...:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadal and Parlett sure knew how to draw - AND tell a story. Unlike some of the imposters around today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I left a comment here earlier. Nadal and Reg Parlett were masters of their craft, being able to draw well AND tell a story at the same time. Unlike certain impostors of today I could mention (but won't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You left a comment after the first part of the Buster Christmases series :)
      I much prefer old British comics to their modern incarnation.

      Delete
  5. Here's a cover from 1974 you seem to be missing:

    http://www.bustercomic.co.uk/281274.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this George. I have them all but in the mid to late seventies Buster actually ran two covers with a Holiday Season theme every year so I only included one from each year in this series. I may show them later this year.

      Delete