welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Sunday, December 16, 2012

BUSTER CHRISTMASES. PART ONE – THE SIXTIES


2012 was a good year for me as a collector. I have finished putting together several sets and made some serious inroads into my wants lists for other British comics that I want to have complete runs of. BUSTER happens to be one of them. With only some 20 weekly issues of the title remaining on my wants list, I have all but one Christmas editions of the title so I thought it would be fun to take a look at the four decades of BUSTER Christmases and see how the main character (and the comic itself) developed over the years – from the infancy days as Son of Andy Capp, to childhood and teenage years from the brush of Angel Nadal, to the youth and adult age of Reg Parlett era, to maturity portrayed by Tom Paterson and Jimmy Hansen and finally the feeble old age of reprint.

Let’s start with the 60s and the first Christmas edition – the only one I don’t have a hard copy of. I found the image on George Shiers' blog here. Art by Bill Titcombe.


A year later the illustrator was Hugh McNeill:


1962 was the beginning of Angel Nadal’s era:




BUSTER was a tabloid-sized paper from first issue until the middle of 1965. By Christmas of 1965 the paper had shrunk and become closer to the standard well-familiar format of IPC comics, but still larger than that. It looks like Nadal was substituted by another artist on this one:



With a few exceptions, Nadal contiued drawing Buster for well over a decade until 1974.




 

Come back soon for Buster Christmases of the 70s!
 

5 comments:

  1. I see you took the top image from my blog! (Feel free!) If you want, I can send you a page by page scan of that first Christmas issue, or there are some photos on the post:

    http://www.wackycomics.com/2011/12/buster-chirstmas-in-1960.html

    I only have a few Chritsmas Busters, so thanks for sharing the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, I'd appreciate a better quality scan of the front cover please :) Do you still have my email address :) ?

      Delete
  2. At one time, comic covers really went to town on the Christmas 'feel', didn't they? (It's a shame they didn't add snow to the logo of this year's Christmas Beano.) Some great images there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review of 2012 Christmas Beano this morning and thought it was strange they didn't use a snowy logo...

      Delete
    2. It did look out of place no snowy logo...But the front cover picture was inside the house...

      It had snowballs on the plastic cover...

      Still would of been better snowy..:)

      Delete