welcome and enjoy!

Hi and welcome to my blog about comics from other people’s childhood! It is dedicated primarily to British humour comics of the 60s and 70s. The reason they are not from my childhood is simply because I didn’t live in the UK back then (nor do I live there now). I knew next to nothing about them until fairly recently but since then I’ve developed a strong liking for the medium and amassed a large collection, including a number of complete or near complete sets. My intention is to use this blog as a channel for sharing my humble knowledge about different titles, favourite characters and creators as I slowly research my collection.

QUICK TIP: this blog is a sequence of posts covering one particular comic at a time. The sequence follows a certain logic, so for maximum results it is recommended that the blog is read from the oldest post up.

Copyright of all images and quotations used here is with their respective owners. Any such copyrighted material is used exclusively for educational purposes and will be removed at first notice. All other text copyright Irmantas P.



Sunday, August 12, 2012

SPORTS THEME IN BRITISH COMICS TO CELEBRATE LONDON OLYMPICS 2012 (FINAL DAY)


I was hoping to close this series of Olympic posts with something appropriately grand and spectacular but couldn’t find suitable examples to show so I’ll go with something else.

Challenge Charlie! was an interesting strip that started in Valiant in the last issue of May 1974 and was illustrated by Frank McDiarmid. Readers were invited to send all sorts of challenges for the unfortunate Charlie who couldn’t resist accepting them, no matter how dangerous or crazy they were. The reader whose challenge was accepted collected a weekly prize of £5. I decided to take a close look at the strip because I was confident I will find some sports-themed episodes – and find I did. I even found more than I was looking for but since the findings have nothing to do with sports or Olympics, I will leave them for another blogpost. Come back tomorrow for more Charlie challenges and a look into the curious origins of a few of them…

From VALIANT dated 24th August, 1974
From VALIANT dated 2nd November, 1974
From VALIANT dated 24th January, 1976
From VALIANT dated 10th July, 1976
From VALIANT dated 14th August, 1976

2 comments:

  1. What a great series...and a good ending strip to end on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peter, I am glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete